Thursday 6 October 2011

Half a Mind

Back to routine after 1 day in Calgary and another playing catch up. Today's writing prompt is "half a mind," again compliments of Lizzie. I had to give myself approx. 5 extra minutes to finish.

My Once Dearest Love,

I weep as I write this. Who would have ever guessed that there would be a final goodbye between you and me?

I close my eyes and find myself again in Paris, trading kisses with you atop the Eiffel tower. You didn't worry then about who might be watching.

Again, I see us in the little bakery, sharing an eclair. Do you remember how I giggled when the whipped cream erupted from the pastry and landed on your best shirt as I took a bite? You didn't chastise me then. No. You scraped the cream off your shirt with a finger, and then you fed it to me between kisses.

You were so romantic. So spontaneous. So loving. But now, look what you've become.

Responsible. Logical. Cold and boring.

Don't you want to live? Don't you want to love?

No. You want to be reasonable.

You don't want to get married 'til we're living on the same continent. Fine. Then come join me in Paris. You love Paris. I love Paris. Everyone I love and care about is in Paris.

But you worry about your work. You say you have to get the right visa. You say we can't live on my earnings as a beautician.

So play your guitar in the streets! I know a street musician who isn't half as good as you and he makes all the money he needs.

But no. You must practice law. Then practice it away from me. I thought you loved me. I thought you were a whole man. But you are only logic, sense, responsibility. No spontaneity, no emotion, no passion.

You can not be my other half. You have only half a mind.

I can not love you,

Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment