Friday 14 October 2011

Dogs and cats.

Our prompt today is compliments of Meg. Actually, she gave me several options. This one is postable. She is welcome to write on any of the other options she provided. They would all fit under at least half of the given topic.


Here's mine. A continuation from Half a Mind written in about 35 minutes. Lots of distractions this morning.

Dear Reginald,

I have decided to give you another chance, even though you have not answered the letter I sent last week. I should not have sent it. I am sorry. I should have known that a man as romantic as you are would also be very sensitive. I did not intend to cut you so deeply that you could not find it in you to give any response at all.

Oh, my poor darling! I hope you are not entirely shattered because you are much too magnificent a creature to waste away, to become only wreckage. No, my darling, you must exert yourself. You must fight for this love.

I have been thinking about us a great deal. I have been thinking while I have been watching my pets. You loved Alphonso, didn't you. Such a sleek greyhound he is. And Persia, she is the queen of cats. Sometimes they fight. Persia has a temper that keeps Alphonso in his place. But she loves him, too. She relies on him. And he always forgives her after one of her spats. He always lets her back on his cushions. He has to, after mooning in misery while she was angry.

My dear Reginald, you must forgive me for lashing out at you. I was so impatient to be in your arms again that I wrote what I did not mean. Hurry back to Paris, my love. I can accept your half a mind. You do not have to be both Alphonso and Persia. Alphonso is enough.

Your dearest love,

Mimi

2 comments:

  1. Why did I have to say yes? That one word had caused me more pain than I had thought it would. But then, how could I have said no?

    My thoughts were interrupted by another sneeze. Agreeing to do it was one thing, but doing it *here?* Whatever had possessed me?

    I pulled a handkerchief from my pocket and blew my nose. For a moment I thought it was a part of my nasal symphony, but then I realized the shrill sound was coming from the five year old girl standing on the table.

    "Mr. Peck! Your nose is louder than Daddy's!" She laughed and began jumping on teh table. I ran over and lifted her to the floor.

    "Annie, if you get up there one more time I'll--" I stopped when I felt something brushing against my leg and instinctively kicked it away.

    "Don't do that!" Annie's twin sister, Emmie, scolded. She ran over to her precious hair ball and scooped it up. "Are you hurt, Milky?" The cat turned to me and hissed from the safety of the girl's arms. The coward. It was just like a cat to hide.

    ~To be continued sometime today when I get the chance to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Mr Peck. I gather he has an allergy to cats? Love his "nasal symphony." look forward to the continuaton.

    ReplyDelete